Chad's Blog

But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at my Word. Isaiah 66:2

Aug 13, 2010

Thank God for Our Kids

Emily and William just finished their first glorious day of eighth and first grade, respectfully.  I find myself overwhelmed with the privilege of seeing this part of their lives, to be here for them, enjoy them, and watch them grow.  Their innocence (however brief) softened parts of my heart about which I'd long ago forgotten.  Their tenacity confounds me, and their affection humbles me.  In many ways my relationship with my kids has given me a greater appreciation of divine personality as I contemplate God's love and patience toward us.  Lord, give me more of that.

The privilege of children has alluded some, and those it hasn't often fail to recognize it as a privilege.  They get lost in their own problems, or somehow get distracted by less fulfilling endeavors.  Then one morning they wake up and the smell of a pet they never wanted is gone, the crafts from school and VBS no longer decorate the fridge, and the sound of majestic playfulness has been replaced by an aching silence that cries, "Should've paid more attention."  Lord, let that not be me.

One blessing of children I didn't anticipate (not that I fully anticipated any of it) is being able to find community with other like-minded parents of young children.  We share something that is hard to put in words.  It's sort of like the "Thank God for Our Kids" club.  I consider many of them to be some of my favorite people (if not dear friends) as our lives intersect at church, tee-ball games, and the school parking lot.  I suspect this is the stuff of which lifelong friendships are made.  Lord, bless them all.

No comments: