Chad's Blog

But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at my Word. Isaiah 66:2

Aug 20, 2010

Comfort or Relationships

After picking up William at school, we sat in the parking lot and waited on his sister. Every time a kid William recognized walked by, my son would slide open the van door and yell a hello. And each time I would ask him to shut the door. After about six little kids, six opened door, and six exhortations to keep the door shut, he finally asked, "Why do you want the door to stay shut?" I promptly replied, "Because you're letting the cold air out." And my son, being painfully aware of the obvious said, "It will make more cold air."

After considering his statement, I realized my son cared more about his relationships than his own comfort. So naturally (or not so naturally) I asked myself how much comfort would I give up in order to build relationships.

I can't help but think back to when my life was exceptionally uncomfortable, and how much relationships meant back then. When money was scarce and prosperity was only something you heard TV preachers talk about, relationships were essential because we needed each other to survive. Now that there's a tad more money and life is a bit more prosperous, isolation from people is tad more tempting and bit more common.

It even seems forgiveness was easier when relationships were a necessity to life. Now that we are more self sufficient, and relationships are not the necessity they once were, it seems easier to hold a grudge. Why not hold a grudge? If you don't need a relationship, then it only makes sense to not let it impinge on your comfort.

But scripture teaches us differently, as we are never completely self-sufficient. Oh, we might be able to achieve financial independence, but spiritually we are completely bankrupt apart from a relationship with Christ. And even after we turn from our sins and embrace Christ by faith, we not only still need relationships with other believers for good spiritual health, but we are commanded to make these relationships as we provide each other with accountability and disciple new believers.

So what is more important to you?  Building relationships, or keeping the cold air in?

 



No comments: