Chad's Blog

But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at my Word. Isaiah 66:2

Jul 28, 2010

Richard Wallace

I had made Richard Wallace's acquaintance only once or twice at children's birthday parties where we swapped handshakes and how-are-ya's.  But when I heard he had been diagnosed with a serious disease, like many others, I went to visit him at his home.  This was the first time I'd gotten to know someone my own age who knew they were getting ready to leave this world, and because of Richard, I will not soon forget it. 

We talked about his illness, our families, and the Lord.  Richard was very hospitable and our lives did share some similarities, at least a few anyway.  But there was more going on with Richard than just good hospitality, something I may not have seen had it not been for Richard himself.  And now that I see it I wish I'd paid more attention.  Because it was during that time of illness when eternity was racing upon him that God Himself was drawing near. 

It's interesting how people in the Bible reacted when God drew near, but mostly I love what Job said in Job 42:5-6, "I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, But now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes."

Richard had the unique opportunity to have his own words read at his funeral, and he talked about his repentance from sin and his faith in the cross of Christ.  He said he once worked almost a whole year with only a handful of days off, and how at the time he was very proud of that, but not anymore.  He now had become quite ashamed of it, realizing he had given too much time to his work and not enough time to his family. 

Just like Job, when God came near, the light of His presence allowed Richard to see his sin the way God saw it.  And Richard made the choice to repent.  As a result, he could testify at his own funeral to the goodness of a God who healed him spiritually in the midst of physical illness.

Richard's example challenges us in many ways, and causes us to ask several questions.  Like how do we respond to the unexpected challenges of life?  Do we let God draw near to us?  Do we allow Him to show us how offensive our sin is to Him, causing us to see more clearly our need of his grace and forgiveness?  Do we let him heal us spiritually?  Or do we resentfully try to push God away, looking for someone to blame, resulting in further spiritual emptiness? 

It doesn't have to be that way.  It wasn't for Richard.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

I am glad you shared that is gave me chills thinking about it. Really makes you stop and think.

Karmen said...

I knew Richard also. My grandfather did a lot of work for him, especially at the end. He was there for us when we needed him. You're right about him realizing the importance of God and family. He spoke to my grandfather about that frequently. My grandfather is somewhat the same way Richard was during that year. He works with only about a day off here and there. That is, until Richard passed. That made it real for him, I think. Good Post.

Unknown said...

what a great post!