Chad's Blog

But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at my Word. Isaiah 66:2

Jun 27, 2011

Weary of Doing Good?


I've been writing a novel for about eight years, well I wish I had a full eight years invested in it, but I work on it sporadically when I have extra time, which becomes more rare with each passing year. Needless to say, it has become little more than a hobby. Yet, some poor souls will write and rewrite, modify character profiles, adjust plot lines, all while hoping to someday be published. Yet, only a small handful of the thousands who write will ever achieve such a goal.

Sometimes the Christian feels like the aspiring novelist, wondering if he will ever see fruit from his labor of doing good. Our culture of quick results has no doubt crept its way into Christian consciousness, as churches grow weary of leaders when church growth stagnates, parents grow weary of spankings when children don't immediately learn how to behave, and the believer grows weary of doing good when it all seems fruitless.

Galatians 6:9 "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."

There are several things which make us grow weary and lose heart. Opposition and conflict consumes immense amounts of energy, resulting in weariness. Not getting enough rest, not feeding our souls with God's Word, and not recognizing our limitations can all contribute to weariness while doing good.

Paul touches on perhaps the most serious source of losing heart, being the desire for immediate results. My experience has taught me that instant success is seldom lasting, while immediate failure is seldom final. Therefore, don't lose heart in doing good dear Christian, for your due season is surely coming, and I am confident you will not be disappointed.

No comments: